Saturday, January 9, 2010

Just Another Happy Hour or Civic Duty???

So on Thursday, my friend Amy approached me and asked me if I would like to do happy hour. Of course, I said yes. However, this wasn't just any type of happy hour. This happy hour was to contribute to our city. You may be thinking, I bet the proceeds went to charity or something, well you would be wrong. This happy hour was for the Dallas Police Department.

You may have once wondered, how do they train the cops to do sobriety tests, well the get the public drunk and then test them. We had to be at the Dallas PD right after work. We got there around 5PM to fill out paperwork and take your first Breathalyzer. You also had to give them your ride's name and number. You then had to consume 2 drinks per hour and they would determine the amount of alcohol based upon body weights, heights and how drunk they wanted you some people have not had one drink at all). You also may question where this free alcohol came from. Well its the booze that they confiscate from people once they are pulled over or whatnot-unopened bottles only-at least I hope. So for 2 hours you sit there drinking and playing cards (Phase 10 for our game of choice, and of course I won).

After the 2 hours they then give you another Breathalyzer and send you down to "field training". You enter a room with about 50 cop trainees. You then do 3 standard tests-

1. Walk a straight line, heal to toe. 9 Steps forward, 3 step pivot turn, 9 steps back-dismount.
2. Follow their finger why they whip it back and forth. (I am sorry, but dead sober, no drink in your life-this test is ridiculous. You are expected to keep your head completely still why following their finger with you eyes only. But, their finger is moving about 30 mph.)
3. Balance on one foot and count out loud with a Mississippi in between. Simple enough but they keep telling you to only look at your foot and check to see if you are looking at the space in front of your foot.

You do this about 4 or 5 times with different groups of cops, and then at the end, the cops guess your Breathalyzer level. They were pretty close when they guessed my levels. However, I cannot really remember the numbers...

I still cannot believe this is legal, but what do I know, I am not a cop.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! This would have been a GREAT story to tell at my Florida Police CHief's show/meeting I had yesterday... dang

    ReplyDelete