Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dentist

So if you are like me, you hate going to the dentist. I hate it so much that I rarely go. My last appointment was in November of 2007. And before you say gross I would just like to tell you what the dentist said...

"Wow. You have some of the best oral hygiene I have ever seen. Your teeth look like you just came about a month or 2 ago. You have fantastic teeth. What do you do?" I brush. So there.

Anyway, the appointment starts out like most when you have not been there in years, they take x-rays. 18 to be exact and my gag reflex is a bit stronger than I thought. The entire time, the dental hygienist is telling me about the fact that her and her boyfriend just got a cat. But the cat was his decision not hers (um maybe he needs to find a man-sorry if you like cats:) ) and how she found him on eharmony. All the while asking extremely personal questions about my life and if whomever sleeps in my bed can hear my teeth grinding, if I have tried dating websites, etc, while I cannot talk at all.

We have now arrived at the front teeth for the xray. Background, I have never had an issue getting my teeth x-rayed before. For those of you that don't know, I am tongue tied. Like really tongue tied. The tip (close to the top) of my tongue is attached right below my bottom front teeth. I can stick my tongue out about 1/2 of a centimeter. Most tongue ties (probably yours) are an inch further back from mine.

Anyway, we get to the front teeth and she cannot xray because I am tongue tied. I am sorry, because of my lingual fraenulum. She then asks me "Did you know you are really tongue tied" Um yes. Yes I did. For 25 years now. Did she really think that no dentist had ever told me that?

So then the dentist came in, who I really like, and told me that he suggested I get it cut. Which my uncles always told me they would do with scissors growing up. It would take about 5 minutes and only be about 2 days of healing. But, I am really scared that I will have to relearn how to kiss and eat. Or that my tongue will just hang out of my mouth like a dog.

Dumb fears, but really...

No comments:

Post a Comment